Today is a very special day indeed: the relaunch of FWR 2.0! We are excited to introduce these new features:
- RESPONSIVE: First and foremost, the new FWR operates uniquely on desktop browsers, tablets, and phones, for the best possible experience today’s technology can deliver. This means on phones, the home screen is vertical and scrollable; on tablets, the a-frame and content is optimized; and on desktop, we have the ‘full’ model, with all functionality and ads being served. Finally, we’re not stuck in 1998!
- NEW LOOK: Using the relaunch as a platform for an updated look was important, but so was honoring our legacy as a communal place for readers, authors, and emerging writers. Our focus is on the words: our features have been designed for reading.
- OPTIONS FOR READING: Not only have we redone the printing functionality, installed an automatic “You might also like” engine, but now there’s a ‘read it later’ button that allows users to save articles to their reader apps for later digesting.
- EASIER COMMENTING: We’ve installed Disqus — an amazingly easy one-click discussion system that ties to people’s social accounts and should result in much better conversations (no more logging back in to check for comment replies!)
- SHOP TALK: We’ve redesigned our old “blog” section to merge seamlessly with all featured content as Shop Talk. Shop Talk includes posts from authors like “Author Takes” and “Under the Influence” and “Stories We Love” from our literary community.
Without your contributions as readers, writers, and supporters, none of this would be possible. None of it. We wouldn’t have built a community that would enjoy this; we wouldn’t have raised the funds necessary to develop it; we wouldn’t have the backlog of content that will ultimately live on across all platforms.
You’ll notice we’ve tacked “beta” to the site’s logo, as well as placed a prompt at the bottom of the site for feedback. This is our awkward adolescent stage, and stuff will break and go awry. Please send any glitches you see to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll get on it!